When you fall in love, it seems like every sappy song was written specifically for you and your adored one. Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeren, John Legend’s All of Me, You Are the Best Thing by Ray LaMontagne, you know the ones. You cry over how beautiful and perfect they are. It’s like the songwriters had you and your dear in mind when they composed their ballads and duets. Ahhh, l’amour.
Then you break up with the person you thought you would love forever. Or HE leaves you. Perhaps it’s mutual. Whatever the circumstances, you find yourself crying to your friends again about another relationship’s end and proclaiming to all that you are never dating again. NEVER.
When you re-enter the land of the single, the last songs you want to hear are those that remind you of your ex. Or any about happy or hopeful couples at all. At least for me, it’s now all about the non lovey-dovey songs (and how many songs DON’T involve love??) or ones about hurt, or maybe even songs about empowerment and moving on.
I don’t want to live a music-free life, but I also don’t want to be caught off guard when my iPad shuffles to When I Said I Do, okay? So I had to create a carefully curated playlist that would save me from tears and woeful reminiscing. I cried enough in the last year; turns out right now I was to feel righteous and angry, or happy in a completely non-romantic way.
Turns out I have nearly 150 appropriate tunes for just such an occasion. I’ll share with you a few of my top selections, mostly of the righteous and angry variety.
- Love Yourself by Justin Bieber (is this a great time to be alive and recently heartbroken, or what?)
- You Ruin Me by The Veronicas
- Stitches by Shawn Mendes
- Let it Go by James Bay
- Already Gone and Since U Been Gone, both by Kelly Clarkson
- Burning House by Cam
- If I Loved You by Delta Rae
- Goodbye by Who is Fancy
- Gold Digger by Kanye West (this song is appropriate for any playlist, really)
- Ex’s and Oh’s by Elle King
- Habits by Tove Lo
- I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift
- Jar of Hears by Christina Perri
- Same Old Love by Selena Gomez
- Somebody That I Used to Know by Gotye
- Part of Me by Katy Perry
- Don’t by Ed Sheeran
- Where I Stood by Missy Higgins
- So What by P!nk
- Send My Love to Your New Lover by Adele
What do you think? Are there any you’d add?